Saturday, November 10, 2007

Family Reunion

In light of recent comments about getting everyone together, I am shamelessly plugging the first annual Belanger Family reunion at Yellowstone in June-July 2008. All immediate family members have either confirmed or expressed a desire to come. It will be an event unparalleled in the annals of history - high drama, stirring comedy, inspiring scenery, and the chance to reconnect with long lost siblings (think Twelfth Night, with considerably less cross-dressing).

If you are interested in helping plan the reunion, please let me know. The event is still in the early stages of development, so I welcome any suggestions and recommendations, for instance:

1. Is the reunion too long or too short at four day, three nights? (I want to make sure everyone has time to travel without exhausting too much vacation time).

2. Are there any special requests for meals, snacks, treats (things you like to eat while camping)?

3. Is everyone comfortable with receiving cooking and cleaning assignments?

4. In which of the following activities are you interested in participating:
- Canoeing on Yellowstone Lake?
- Visiting the geyser basin including Old Faithful?
- Visiting the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone?
- Separate hikes for cousins and/or siblings?
- Card or board game tournaments?
- Day trip to Jenny Lake in Grand Teton National Park?
- Bar J Wranglers?
- Group photo?
- Shopping excursion to Jackson Hole?
- Campfire stories and programs?
- Physical games and tournaments (three legged or gunny sack races)?
- Whitewater rafting?
- Scenic float trip through Grand Teton National Park?
- Group campsite or adjacent small family sites?
- Any other things you want to do?

12 comments:

Billy and Lizzie Calban said...

Billy said we will be there....I think all of those activities sound great...We will be up for any of all of them. We should play footbal like we did when we went camping a few years back..and if there is water we can have another (widdled) canoe race.

Erin Belanger said...

Count us in, barring any unforeseen circumstances. We're up for anything and Joey would be happy to organize the card and/or game tournaments. I don't think you can really have a family reunion without a program of some kind. Let us know what we can do at our end to help. By the way, if Lizzie and Billy are coming and we're making a 25 hour car trip with 4 kids than no one else has an excuse! Let us know the dates as soon as possible so Joey can take the time off.

Leah and Dustin said...

I'm sorry that I couldn't comment sooner... We are definately interested! And to answer your questions...
1. I think it's a perfect amount of time and I like the days of the week that you've picked. Please take into consideration that my kids do attend 12 month school and their breaks are 3/15-4/6, 6/21-7/20, and 8/9-8/31
2.scones
3.yes
4.all of the above

Joe Belanger said...

What Erin said.

Also,
1.) Sounds good
2.) Blueberry Cobbler
3.) We're good.
4.) Everything, but especially Bar-J (or even Pierre's Playhouse, with a huckleberry shake from the shop next door)

Matt said...

canoeing, baseball in a meadow, hikes, all sounds good to me. even a little assignment sounds alright. can't wait for the Bar J Wranglers on their home turf.

Sarah and Val said...

Can't wait for this trip. Can't wait to see everyone.

1. Perfect length of time.
2. Dutch oven anything
3. yes, give assignments
4. hike at Jenny Lake on the day we do Bar J, scenic float on the river in Tetons, shopping in Jackson Hole.

Leah and Dustin said...

Andy asked me (and everyone) to prioritize the activities that I'd like to do while in Yellowstone instead of saying "all of the above".Here is my top 5...
1. canoeing
2.old faithful
3.jenny lake
4.bar j
5.hiking
I'd still like to do other things as well, such as, hear the coffin story around the campfire!

Andy said...

I would like some guidance on what everyone thinks is essential and what is more optional. I'm open to hearing what you think Leah would like to do while we're in Yellowstone, but I also want to hear what you want to do.

Leah and Dustin said...

Ok so that came out wrong... I know it's not all about me!!! I just meant everyone should prioritize what THEY would like to do! Oh these early morning comments when you're not quite awake!! I tell ya!!!

Billy and Lizzie Calban said...

Whatever Leah we all know its all about you....

Anywho
We would definitley like a Group Photo and would like a Group Campsite.
Our top 5 are:
1 Bar J
2 Physical Games (frisbie football anyone)
3 canoeing
4 shopping @ Jackson Hole
5 Visit Grand Canyon

Andy said...

I'm working on a new version of the coffin story.

The dates for the reunion are 6/30-7/3. Leah and I are extending the trip on both ends. We're going to the patriotic-focused Music and the Spoken Word in Salt Lake on 6/29 and we're going to stay in the Yellowstone area through the 4th of July (Fireworks on Snow King Mountain).

Erin Belanger said...

I don't know about Joey exactly but I would like to do canoeing if we can figure out some sort of way to do it with the little ones. Do they have a child pass?J/K. I want to see old faithful and go on some hikes. The dates sound perfect to me. We're also looking at going to Mount Rushmore before we head home. It's about 8 hours from Yellowstone. Essentially, being with family and enjoying the beautiful scenery. Everything else is optional. Also, I prefer a group campsite with meal assignments.