Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Great Catch-Up, Volume One

OK, so once you've seen what I've been up to I think you'll be able to cut me some slack. I've been a huge blog-slacker, but here's a one of a few big catch up posts. Indulge me, if you will, a slide show.

A couple guys from my ward invited me to go on a trip to Tulsa, OK to go to the BYU v. Tulsa University football game. On the way we saw this guy. Totally made my day.





Then we saw this guy and it made my day even more.







This was before the game. Granted BYU was to be a playing a school the size and with the prowess of Chaparral.







BYU got rocked. I took some small pleasure in this. Go Rebs!








This is the RoMo that we stayed in during the trip. Made the Farm DeVille feel like the Four Seasons. At least there was a Carl's Jr. (none in TX) across the street.










We took a side trip on the way home to visit Oklahoma City. Indescribable.






From outside the memorial, looking in.









The individual memorials.









An explanation of the individual memorials.












The individual memorials from the side.









Among the survivors, a Belanger.






The other end of the memorial.









A close-up of the individual memorials.












The Survivor Tree.












Under the Survivor Tree.









After the S&R effort was complete, one team bore their emotions on a nearby surviving structure.










We are resilient.











If you ever have the means, you must go to the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial. It was humbling, spiritual and healing.

So there's Volume One of my catch-up posts, stay tuned for more. Take care. Cheers.

6 comments:

Leah and Dustin said...

Thanks for the post!!! It's about darn time! I loved all your pictures. Let's here it for Carl's Junior, something we totally take for granted!! ha ha I bet Matt will enjoy seeing the ones of the memorial since he was there shortly after that happened. I was a sophmore in highschool when the bombing occurred and I remember Paula Gammet(my seminary teacher) brought in the paper with that famous picture of the firefighter holding the baby, images you can never forget! I'm gonna put that sight on my "things to do before I die" list. Thanks for sharing.

Matt said...

great post.Your right it is a spiritual place. When I was there some of the surrounding buildings windows were blown out.I wonder if they still are. I was there in '99.That's great that you saw my mission.

Joe Belanger said...

Most of the surrounding buildings are still there. They made sure that they were structurally sound, but left some of the superficial damage (cracks, bent and twisted fire escapes) there to show how far away the blast did damage. It was unbelievable.

I highly recommend taking as much time as possible underneath the Survivor Tree and asking a park ranger about the tree. It is amazing.

Matt, you served in some pretty country. It's a lot like Texas, but it has more hills and contour and I miss hills and mountains.

Billy and Lizzie Calban said...

That sounds so neat...When I came to Eglin AFB they took us around to the memorials of my fellow fallen Airmen most of the tour bus full refused to get off and see it and other just got off to smoke.....I had Billy just sit there with me. It really is humbling to see those that lost there lives for whtever reason.

Sarah and Val said...

I also would like to go there and visit that memorial. I remember when Matt sent home pictures and told us about it. Within driving distance of any of our homes there is so much to see when we can find the time to pack the car (usually with kids and gear) and get on the road.

Andy said...

I was on my mission when the bombing took place so I don't have any real recollection of it. I'd imagine that it is very moving to visit the site and hear the stories.